Change Your Name

Lawyers and paralegals are required to practise law under their legal name and are required to inform the Law Society as soon as possible if their legal name has changed. A name change cannot be processed unless the lawyer or paralegal has had their name legally changed. This requirement is in place so that dishonest lawyers or paralegals cannot avoid their clients or the Law Society by assuming another name.

Those wishing to have their name changed must submit a special petition (pdf) and proof of name change. The only documents accepted as proof of name change are a marriage certificate, change of name certificate and birth certificate (please provide a notarized copy or original).