Osgoode Hall Through the Years

OsgFloor plan of Osgoode Halloode Hall is an aggregate of structures constructed over a period of 180 years. On the Law Society's side alone, there have been at least ten major additions since the opening of the original "Lawyers' Hall" in 1832.

1829-1832
East wing constructed, site of the present Benchers' Quarters. It originally contains the Benchers' Quarters and accommodation for 9 students in the attic. The basement houses the students' dining hall and household staff quarters.
Architect: John Ewart

1833-1834
Centre range built to provide bed chambers and offices.
Architect: William Warren Baldwin; Builder: John Ritchies

1844-1846
West wing constructed to house the courts; portions eventually converted into library space. New façade to centre range and portico added to east wing. Centre range renovated to house the library and court offices. The central portion of the roof is topped by a dome.
Architect: Henry Bowyer Lane

1856-1859
Centre range rebuilt.  This construction campaign gives us the atrium, library and courts that we know today. The dome is removed.
Architects: Cumberland and Storm

1880-1882
First Law School Addition: Convocation Hall. Originally designed as an examination hall, now the restaurant.
Architect: William Storm

1889-1891
Second Law School Addition: lecture halls, reading room and students' library. Currently the Museum Room, Portrait Room and Barristers' Lounge.
Architect: William Storm

1894-1895
American Room, Great Library.
Architects: Burke & Horwood

1937-1938
Third Law School Addition. Currently Law Society offices.
Architects: Saunders and Ryrie

1956-1959
Fourth Law School Addition. Presently North wing or Education Wing.
Architects: Mathers and Haldenby

1978
Filling in of courtyard to create additional office space and a computer room.
Architect: Arthur Heeney

1990-1991
Addition of two and a half floors on top of the 1956-1959 wing to create additional seminar rooms and office space. Currently Law Society offices. Law Society Reception moved to East side of the building.
Architect: Norm McMurrich