In 2000, the Equity Initiatives Department of the Law Society of Upper Canada launched its Professional Development Program. The program designs and delivers education and training to large, medium and small law firms as well as to sole practitioners and legal organizations..
Large and medium size law firms will have equity and diversity needs that are different from small law firms or sole practitioners. The needs and interests of large and medium law firms will also vary according to a number of other factors such as the type of law practice, the client base, the internal structure of the firm, the number of employees, lawyers and partners.
To address these needs, the Professional Development Program tailors its curriculum and activities to the specific needs of the law firm. The delivery of training sessions may take many forms, such as seminars, workshops and informal meetings. Education and training modules may be developed on equity and diversity issues, such as:.
- Identifying and responding to harassment and discrimination;
- Accommodation of creed, gender and for persons with disabilities;
- Equity and diversity in hiring and recruiting;
- Diversifying and expanding the firm's client base;
- Drafting equity and diversity workplace policies;
- Using inclusive language and images in promotional materials;
- Creating an inclusive and positive workplace environment; and
- Rights of same-sex couples.
For more information, or to arrange for a Professional Development program, please contact the Equity Initiatives Department through the Resource Centre at (416) 947-3315 or 1-800-668-7380 ext. 3315 or by e-mail.