Former Law Society lawyers who surrendered their licence at their own request, who were permitted to surrender their licence, or whose licence was revoked may apply for licensing under the Law Society Act and By-Law 4 as follows:
- Licensing: Law Society Act s.27
- Surrender of Licence: Law Society Act s.30
- Issuance of Licence: By-Law 4 Part II
- Surrender of Licence: By-Law 4 Part III
Who can apply
All former lawyers who wish to return to the practice of
law in Ontario and be considered for licensing by the Law Society may apply. The
National Mobility Agreement does not apply to former LSUC lawyers. They must
apply under the licensing process.
- Non-refundable administrative application fee
- Appropriate completed and original application for licensing
- Non-refundable full payment of all Law Society annual fees owing
- Non-refundable full payment of all LAWPRO premiums/fees/levies/deductibles owing
- Submission of all outstanding original Member's Annual Reports
- LAWPRO Errors & Omissions Claims History
- Civil Actions search results
- Canadian Police Information Centre report (CPIC)
- Superintendent of Bankruptcy search results
- Additional pertinent documents and information to comply with specific application requirements
Note: Law Society annual fees for the year in which you apply to be licensed will be payable prior to final approval for licensing.
Contact the Law Society at 416-947-3315 or 1-800-668-7380
Ext.3315 or by e-mail at email@example.com for information on current
All applications and required attachments will be
reviewed by Administrative Compliance (AC). If the review reveals that the
application and/or attachments are deficient, then an (AC) Representative will
contact the applicant to request additional information or clarification.
Applications for former lawyers who surrendered their licence on their own
request may be approved by (AC). Applications for former lawyers who were
permitted to surrender their licence, or whose licence was revoked will be
scheduled for a hearing by the Law Society Hearing Division which will consider
the licensing application. The decision of the Hearing Division will be
communicated to the applicant following the date the matter is heard.
(AC) requires up to 60 business days to process
applications for licensing following surrender of licence at own request. For
applications from lawyers permitted to surrender their licence or who have had
their licence revoked, the Law Society requires a minimum of 90 business days
to prepare the file for the review of the Hearing Division. Further time is
required for these applications to allow for a full regulatory review.
Non-refundable Administrative Fees and Costs
A non-refundable application fee in the amount of $300 + HST must be remitted along with the completed application. Applicants are obliged to pay all Law Society Membership Annual Fees and LAWPRO premiums/fees/levies/deductibles outstanding as well as the annual fees for the year in which they are making their application upon licensing.
Applicants are also responsible for all costs (if any) associated with their case in accordance with Rule 14 of the Rules of Practice and Procedure.
Links to Applications and Additional Documents
Licensing Following Surrender of Licence at Lawyer's Request
Licensing Following Revocation of Licence or Permission to Surrender Licence
Links to Applicable Rules and The Law SocietyAct
All application related questions should be directed to Administrative Compliance by contacting the Law Society at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 x3315) and asking to be transferred, or e-mail Administrative Compliance using the Contact Page.