Convocation votes against accrediting TWU law school
Convocation voted to reject the accreditation of Trinity Western University (TWU) by a vote of 28 to 21 with one abstention, following two days of debate, which were webcast to the public and the profession. Prior to Convocation’s first meeting, on April 10, the Law Society called for written submissions and received more than 200 from interested parties, including TWU. Treasurer’s statement. Additional information.
New bencher elected
Peter J. Festeryga of Leamington was elected as bencher at April 10 Convocation. Mr. Festeryga was elected to fill the vacancy created by the appointment of Robert Wadden as a judge of the Ontario Court of Justice.
Human Rights Monitoring Group interventions approved
Convocation approved interventions in the following cases:
- lawyer Gao Zhisheng – China
- lawyer and parliamentarian Karpal Singh – Malaysia
- Farshid Yadollahi – Iran
- lawyer Ramazan Demir – Turkey
- lawyer Thulani Rudolf Maseko – Swaziland.
Cathy Corsetti re-elected chair of the Paralegal Standing Committee
Cathy Corsetti was re-elected the chair of the Paralegal Standing Committee at its April 2014 meeting. The chair is elected by the committee annually.
Audit and Finance Committee report
Convocation approved the following items in the Audit and Finance Committee report:
- the audited Annual Financial Statements for the Law Society for the financial year ended December 31, 2013
- Deloitte LLP as The Law Society of Upper Canada and LibraryCo Inc. auditor for the 2014 financial year
- Bencher Cathy Corsetti was appointed to the Appeal Division and the Hearing Division of the Law Society Tribunal, to the committee of benchers established under section 37 of By-Law 7 [Business Entities] and to the Audit & Finance Committee.
- Paul Dray, a licensee, was appointed to the Appeal Division and Hearing Division of the Law Society Tribunal.
- Benchers Robert Burd and John E. Callaghan were appointed to the Hearing Division of the Law Society Tribunal.
Bencher Brian Lawrie was appointed to the Alternative Business Structures Working Group.
- Bencher Michelle Haigh was appointed to the Mentoring and Advisory Services Proposal Task Force.
Convocation authorized the Treasurer to sign the proxy in favour of proposed LAWPRO shareholder resolutions at the Annual and General Meeting of Shareholders of the Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO) to be held April 30, 2014. Convocation also authorized the Treasurer to sign the proxy in favour of proposed LibraryCo Inc. shareholder resolutions at the Annual and General Meeting of Shareholders of LibraryCo Inc. to be held May 9, 2014. Full report.